The PRK recovery tips you need to know
Hi, it’s Dr. Chotiner from Memorial Eye Institute. Are you considering PRK but want to know how quick recovery time is and whether there are PRK recovery tips that can assist? Let me help…
What to expect after PRK surgery:
During the few hours after the operation, we put a temporary contact lens on your eye, and the vision is a little smoky and hazy – a bit like looking through a transparent wet shower curtain.
The vision tends to become quite blurred while the surface layer of the front of your eye is healing over the first two to three days. However, following this initial and short recovery time, your vision will improve.
After that, it takes up to six to eight weeks before the vision finally stabilizes, and by then, you’ll have the vision you wanted to get after having the procedure done.
Here are our best PRK recovery tips:
- Ask a friend or family member to help you settle in after surgery
- Wear something comfortable
- Organize your post-op meals prior to surgery
- Please have a good meal the morning of our surgery (there’s no need to fast!)
- Store eye drops in the refrigerator
- Shower and wash your hair on the morning of your surgery and avoid using hair products that day (as you’ll want to avoid showering for 24 hours following PRK)
- Avoid screen usage (mobile phones, computers, TVs) for two days following surgery.
- When you must use your digital devices, enlarge the text size and turn down the brightness on your phone.
- Get plenty of sleep
To learn more about PRK, and know which treatment is best for you, please book online for a free virtual vision assessment on our website today.
Share This Story
Recognized leaders in Harrisburg LASIK eye surgery
CHOOSE THE MOST EXPERIENCED LASIK SPECIALISTS IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
Dr. Bennett Chotiner
MEDICAL DIRECTOR, GENERAL OPHTHALMOLOGY, CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGERY, LASIK SURGERY
Dr. Bennett Chotiner is the founder and medical director of Memorial Eye Institute. A noted innovator, in 1977 he established his clinical practice, the Pennsylvania Eye Associates. In 1984, he established the Pennsylvania Eye Surgery Center, Pennsylvania’s first …
Dr. Erik A Chotiner
GENERAL OPHTHALMOLOGY, CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGERY, LASIK SURGERY
Erik Chotiner, M.D. diagnoses and treats a wide range of medical eye conditions. He is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. Dr. Chotiner attended Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia where he received multiple awards including the Physiology Prize for …