What conditions make you unsuitable for LASIK?
Hi, it’s Dr. Chotiner from Memorial Eye Institute. When I tell people I’m a LASIK surgeon, some of them ask me: “What conditions make you unsuitable for LASIK?”
Your prescription is the main thing we use to determine your suitability for LASIK eye surgery. For those with stronger prescriptions, it may be that ICL or PRK treatments are better suited to your optical needs, as opposed to LASIK.
Your age may also play a factor in your suitability, as can some medical conditions including:
- Blepharitis (eye infections) − your eyes need to be clear of infection
- Increased internal eye pressure − eye pressure needs to be under control
- Dry eyes, epilepsy, MS − depending on the status of the condition
- Diabetes − OK if well-controlled with healthy retinas
- Very large pupils with a high prescription
- Your prescription is low (under 0.75) and you do not have astigmatism
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding please wait three months after weaning before coming in for a consultation.
Importantly, before a LASIK procedure, your eye surgeon will need to assess your eyes to ensure you’re a suitable candidate. Factors like age, vision prescription and eye health will be considered, and detailed measurements will be taken.
If you really want to have LASIK surgery but aren’t sure if you’re a suitable candidate then Memorial Eye Institute is here to help. To learn more about LASIK, book online for a free virtual vision assessment on our website today.
Share This Story
Recognized leaders in Harrisburg LASIK eye surgery
CHOOSE THE MOST EXPERIENCED LASIK SPECIALISTS IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
Dr. Bennett Chotiner
MEDICAL DIRECTOR, GENERAL OPHTHALMOLOGY, CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGERY, LASIK SURGERY
Dr. Bennett Chotiner is the founder and medical director of Memorial Eye Institute. A noted innovator, in 1977 he established his clinical practice, the Pennsylvania Eye Associates. In 1984, he established the Pennsylvania Eye Surgery Center, Pennsylvania’s first …
Dr. Erik A Chotiner
GENERAL OPHTHALMOLOGY, CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGERY, LASIK SURGERY
Erik Chotiner, M.D. diagnoses and treats a wide range of medical eye conditions. He is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. Dr. Chotiner attended Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia where he received multiple awards including the Physiology Prize for …